Have you ever thought about how often should you replace grill grates? Indeed, the grate is one of the most vital parts of your grill, as it is in direct contact with food. That means that you need excellent transfer at all times, and the best way to do that is knowing when to make the replacement.
When properly maintained, a stainless-steel grill grate will last between 10 to 15 years before replacement is needed. A porcelain grill grate, it will last between 5 to 10 years before replacement is needed. Steel grill grates are made of heavy-duty materials and will last over 15 years before replacement is needed. With proper oiling and cleaning, cast iron grill grates could last 20 years and beyond. The frequency of replacement for a grill grate depends on the materials used to make the grill grate.
There is hardly a one-dimensional answer to this, as different materials and maintenance will vary the longevity of the grill grate. For this reason, we take a look at some of the critical insights into the frequency of grill grates replacements.
10 Backyard Design Ideas On A Budget
10 Backyard Design Ideas On A Budget
When Should You Replace Grill Grates
Unless you are keen on what the tale-tell signs are that you need to replace your grill grates, it will be hard for you to know. Here are a few signs that you should consider.
Rust On The Grill
Using rusted grills could pose a health risk, especially when the metals flake off into your food. Large stains of rust could be a nightmare to your grill grate, as they run deep into the metal.
It will be hard for anyone to clean these surfaces, and replacing the grate will be the ultimate solution for you.
Too Hard To Clean
Indeed, cleaning your grill grate will often be a perfect way of extending its longevity. My favorite cleaning grill brush is the GrillArt brush & scraper found on Amazon. It’s a 3 in 1 wire brush that cleans 5 times better than the average brush.
- 【Easy Cleaning】: Consists of 3 rows of thicker stainless-steel bristles that are in perfect balance between stiff and flexible - neither too rigid so cause scratch nor easy to be flatten out, just a simple rotate, you can 360° thoroughly clean every bit of stubborn stains out of all corners & edges of your grill, not just the top. Along with an extra solid scraper, cut your cleaning time in half couldn’t be easier, just the right tool you needed to keep your family BBQ healthier and tastier;
- 【Safer Cleaning - Less Possibility of Wire Falling Off】: Do not want to give up the wire brushes’ cleaning speed but hate of the danger of wire falling off? This is the perfect solution for you. All bristles of this brush are very tightly twisted into the heavy wire frame, which can greatly reduce the possibility of wire falling off compared with other designs on the market. A fast and much safer cleaning tool that every BBQ enthusiast loves;
- 【Never Breaking – 18 Inch Reinforced Easy to Use Handle】: 18inch long handle gives you the most perfect leverage and keeps your hands away from high heat, anybody can easy control it to fully brush the whole area of your grill from the top to the edge even the bottom. Reinforced design without thickening the thickness of the handle width, aimed to give you the durability without sacrificing the nicer grip experience, every BBQ lover deserves the most thoughtful design;
- 【Longer Lasting - Sturdy Construction】: The whole brush is made of superior quality material, not just the handle but every component of the brush you can see, got a good weight but not too heavy when you hold it, nothing is fragile. You can feel free to apply as much pressure as you like, the whole grill brush will always stay integrated, nothing falling off or break/crack/rust. Far better and lasts much longer than others’, time tells all;
- 【Ideal Gifting Choice - Perfect and No Scratch for All Grates】: Perfect for charcoal, smoker, porcelain, infrared grill or other types like Weber grill or Foreman grill, using our fast clean grill cleaning brush, your grill will soon look brand new. Just Click the ‘’Add to Cart Button Now’’. Consider getting Two - one for you and one for your very best friend. (Surely, if ever needed, simply message us for a satisfying solution at any time)
Last update on 2022-05-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
However, there are times that this becomes impossible despite the efforts you put in. Once you witness significant debris stuck on the surface, and cleaning has proven difficult, the best option would be to replace it.
Too Many Chippings On The Surface
Old and worn-out grill grates will often be subject to chippings, resulting in uneven cooking surfaces.
With these chippings, your cooking experience gets compromised, and your health gets affected too. Once there is a significant number of chippings, it is time to find a new grill grate.
How Long Do Grill Grates Last
There is no denying that the type of grill grate you get has a significant impact on longevity. The material used in making these grill grates could also substantially affect your cooking experience altogether. Here are a few options that you will find.
Stainless Steel Grill Grates
When properly maintained, these grills could last for between 10 and 15 years. That means that you could replace the grates once or twice in their lifetime.
Porcelain Grill Grates
The impressive heat retention highlighted by porcelain grill grates will easily get you hooked. However, it will be fair to mention that these grill grates’ coatings could chip away much sooner.
That means that they will be inclined to rust within a shorter time. Porcelain grill grates don’t last as long as stainless-steel ones, and their lifespan could be between 5 and 10 years.
Steel Grill Grates
You can’t ignore the strength and longevity of steel on grills. Thanks to how sturdy it is, you will be sure to use it for up to 15 years.
However, the biggest issue would be susceptibility to corrosion. Steel grill grates will also lose their temper within a relatively short time. As long as you take care of these grill grates, they will outlast other grills.
Cast Iron Grill Grates
The heaviness in the cast iron grill grates has always been the highlight for many grillers. This grill grate not only retains lots of heat but also cooks food much faster.
It is an investment that you won’t regret, as it could last for many years. As long as you maintain it properly, you could pass it to the next generation.
Proper oiling and cleaning will be inevitable when dealing with this option. However, cast iron grates will cost you a little more.
Charcoal Grill Grates vs Gas Grill Grates vs Infrared Grill Grates
One of the things you can’t overlook is the longevity provided by your choice. Usually, infrared grill grates tend to last for the shortest time, compared to the other options.
Thanks to the intense heat they produce, these grates tend to wear out much sooner. Remember, they come with warranties of no more than two years.
On the other hand, charcoal grill grates are likely to outlast gas grill grates, thanks to the premium materials used in making them.
In most cases, charcoal grill grates are a product of heavy metals, including steel and stainless steel. That means that they could last for over two decades. On the other hand, gas grill grates have a lifespan of between 5 and 15 years.
However, if you expose your charcoal grill grates to moisture, they will not only be susceptible to corrosion but also end up not lasting for long.
Notably, wearing out is a product of intense heat and exposure to moisture. For this reason, chippings are likely to be expected on charcoal and infrared grill grates.
In short, infrared grill grates are the most vulnerable to chippings, thanks to the intense heat.
How Often Should You Replace Weber Grill Grates
Weber is a reputable grill manufacturing company whose nitty-gritty you will want to know. One of the biggest concerns would be how long their grill grates last for.
From their beauty and steady performance to how long they can last, Weber grills are a charm to behold. While they could be a little pricy, you will be sure of using them for up to over ten years.
That means that you will replace the grill grate at least once in their lifetime. Click here to see the Weber grill grate options available on Amazon. Just match up your size grill dimensions to find the perfect one.
In most cases, Weber assures you of 5 to 10-year warranties, which boosts your confidence in their performance.
With this longevity, all you will need to do is to maintain the grills accordingly. Feel free to replace the grills after 5-6 years, which will still be too generous.
Tips To Know How Often Should You Replace Grill Grates
Various signs will tell you when it is time to replace your grill grates. In most cases, once you note the following changes, it is time for you to consider replacing the grill grates.
• The grease and debris buildup isn’t coming off, despite your cleaning efforts
• The grill seems unstable
• The grill is worn-out and falling apart
• Its firebox is full of holes and cracks
Replacing grill grates is an inescapable reality when you own a grill, as you will have to do it at least once in its lifetime. The task remains in taking proper care and maintaining your grill at all times.
From oiling to cleaning, you must make sure that you maintain your grill regularly. Indeed, the insights provided above will be worth taking into account considering if you need to replace your grill grates.