Time outdoors has been scientifically proven to help lower stress, reduce depression and anxiety and even improve your memory. Just looking at green plants can help you too.
However, when you combine that with a good time spent with friends you get even more benefits. Sitting around under a tree or having a picnic is nice, but I’ll help you do better. Here are my top fifteen fun things to do outside with friends.
The most fun things to do outside with friends are activities that bring you together to participate in shared interests. Whether your friends are sporty, or they enjoy games, young or old, there are a million great ways to get outside and do more together. Decide whether you want to stay home, go out, play for free or spend some cash for your good times.
Table of Contents
5 Fun Things To Do Outside With Friends In The Summer
Summertime is hot, but there are a ton of easy ways to have a good time. An old-fashioned squirt gun battle is one way to beat the heat, but there are more. I’ll walk you through some of the best options for (almost) any age.
Here are the top 5 fun things to do outside with friends in the summer:
1 – Go Hiking Up A Mountain
Hanging out in town isn’t the best way to stay cool. According to the EPA, “Urban heat islands” occur when cities replace the natural land cover with dense concentrations of pavement, buildings, and other surfaces that absorb and retain heat.”
Skip the cloying and oppressive city heat and get out of town. Grab a few friends and head up the nearest mountain for a nice hike in the woods.
The elevation and trees help keep the temperatures down, and you’ll still get some sun and exercise in the process.
2 – Yard Pong
College students and adults love playing beer-pong. Fortunately, the massive Yard Pong is an outdoor variant that’s more adaptable.
You can play it when you’re having drinks with friends or go non-alcoholic and play this game with a younger group for prizes or fun.
I recommend picking up the Yard Games Giant Yard Pong from Amazon. This set is precisely weighted to help prevent the buckets from tipping over in a breeze.
Best of all, this set is a hundred percent satisfaction guaranteed.
- 12 giant buckets and 2 heavy duty plastic balls that don't blow in the wind! Exact ratios for buckets and balls to enjoy your favorite beer pong games
- Includes instructions and high-quality and high-strength carrying case to play your favorite pong games the way they were meant to be played at a larger scale!
- Perfect for outdoor events such as parties, BBQs, tailgating, group events, camping and much more
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed. We are a US based company and will replace any piece of this game if you are not satisfied. Or if it's just not working out, send it back for a full refund.
Last update on 2023-10-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
3 – Volleyball
Ninety percent of what you need to play classic summer games is a net. If you bring a volleyball and some badminton rackets and birdies, you can switch it up quickly.
Of course, volleyball is the better choice if you have a pool or sandy beach area because you can play and swim.
Volleyball is great for different skill levels because it’s relatively easy to learn. However, mastering the sport takes a lot of practice.
After all, volleyball is an Olympic sport for a few truly elite athletes who play every day.
4 – Go To The Beach
A good beach day is something every friend group should endeavor to do together. Sand, surf, and hopefully lots of shade make for a great, low-pressure outdoor activity.
As long as you remember to bring your towels, sunscreen, and umbrellas, you’ll have a wonderful day.
If you want to be extra at the beach, pack a nice picnic, some sandcastle-making tools like buckets and shovels, and a more oversized blanket so everyone can sit together.
Also, it’s vital to stay hydrated. Ensure that everyone has plenty of water to drink.
5 – Go Rock Climbing
One of the best things about rock climbing is that it works for many different age groups. You can start small and scramble over a few boulders rather than getting up high with professional equipment. Build your strength and skill over time.
When you and your friends are ready, you can work on moving up (literally) and start adding more challenge and climbing equipment.
Plus, you can carry this hobby over into the winter months by climbing indoors. You don’t need a home climbing wall if you live in most cities.
Plus, the indoor climbs will help you safely prepare for next summer’s outdoor challenges.
5 Fun Things To Do Outside With Friends In Winter
Unlike the warm season, you’ll probably need a lot more equipment, or at least a lot more layers, to head outside with friends in winter.
Happily, there are just as many activities to challenge people of all skill levels. Plus, you get to wear your favorite scarf or sweater.
Here are 5 of the best and most fun things to do outside with friends in winter:
1 – Sledding
You don’t need a professional sled to go sledding. I have seen people use plastic tubs and even garbage can lids to slide down a snowy hill.
Anything with a generally flat underside will do the trick.
If you want to be extra on a sledding excursion, you need some hot drink holders like thermoses and a few cups. An oversized hot drink dispenser is even better.
Make some cocoa or warm apple cider and bring it along to refresh everyone when they get chilly. Better still, grab some chemical hand warmers and have everyone put them in their pockets to prevent cold fingers.
2 – Go Snowshoeing
Are you looking for a real challenge? I suggest trying out snowshoeing. It may surprise you to discover how much effort it takes to walk around in snowshoes.
You should probably only plan to travel a quarter of a mile on your first trip, but it’s excellent for building muscle in the cold months, and you get to hike in the snow without soaked socks.
Pick up some great ALPS Light Weight Snow Shoes with Trekking Poles from Amazon. These are good for beginners, and they come with an easy carrying case.
You’ll appreciate having the poles to keep your balance, and ALPS are available in sizes that fit most people.
3 – Make Frozen Art
A snowman is a start, but you can upgrade your snow art. You’ll need to make sure everyone has some high-quality gloves, and some tools for shaping and carving are also a good idea.
Skip the basic ball shapes and mound up enough snow to make a snake or dragon on the lawn. You can even add small LED lights inside your frozen creation for a truly next-level frozen group project.
4 – Snowboarding
Snowshoeing is great for a slow pace. It builds lots of muscle and coordination, but you can do the same thing and move a lot faster.
Grab your group and go snowboarding. Most mountains have plenty of great places to ski and board in winter. You can ride the lift up to the top or start out lower down if you’re new to the sport.
Consider booking a group class if you and your friends have no experience.
5 – Massive Snowball Fight
Everyone loves (winning) a good snowball fight. However, don’t settle for just making balls out of snow.
Instead, upgrade your snowball fight by adding some inflatable obstacles, such as you’d find for an at-home laser tag game.
Give your friends plenty of things to hide behind and stash extra snowballs around the area before the battle begins.
5 Fun Things To Do Outside With Friends At Night
The night isn’t a season unless you live at the north or south poles, but it might as well be since it’s so different from daytime activities. Outdoor nighttime activities take on a life of their own because of the ambiance.
Here are the top 5 fun things to do outside with friends at night:
1 – Watch The Stars
Not everyone owns a telescope or even binoculars. If you do, then definitely bring them for this activity. However, even without special viewing equipment, you can watch the stars.
Set up blankets or lounge chairs and relax on a moonless night. If you want to be extra about it, have a shooting star party since we go through several regular meteor showers each year.
2 – Glow Bowling
Glow bowling is surprisingly easy to set up at home. Some bowling alleys throw a blacklight bowling night once a week, but you can mimic this at home by reusing plastic soda bottles.
Crack a small glowstick and drop it inside the bottles before you fill them with water. That’s it. You now have glowing ‘pins’ to knock down.
Best of all, you can use a soccer ball instead of the heavier bowling balls and set this up on your porch.
3 – Projector Movie Night
The only things you need to have an outdoor home theater experience with your friends are snacks, a place to sit, somewhere to hang a large white sheet, and a projector.
Choose a favorite movie and have everyone come chill in the yard for a fantastic and unique movie night. It’s easier than you might think.
Modern projectors can connect to smartphones, PlayStations, wifi, and more to play your favorite movies and games.
I recommend lots of popcorn and the TMY Projector from Amazon. Not only does this model come with a projector screen included, but it’s compatible with your smartphone and has 1080P.
Best of all, this projector comes with a three-year satisfaction guarantee.
- 🔆【Upgraded 9500 Lumen HD Video Projector】To better meet your needs, we have upgraded the V08 home projector with our latest 9500 Lumen LED light source. The V08 smart projector features a native 720P resolution (1280x720) with 1080P Full HD support. The latest 3LCD color calibrating and adjusting technology works to reproduce more intricate color details than other mini projectors, which presents our customers a dynamic and color vibrant 1080P HD projected image quality.
- 🔆【Bluetooth 5.1 Function & Upgraded Speaker】With built-in upgraded speaker, you can enjoy a cinematic audio-visual experience without connecting external speakers. Also, this portable projector built-in Bluetooth 5.1 technology to make the audio synchronization faster and more stable. With this Bluetooth projector, you can connect your ideal Bluetooth speakers or headphones wirelessly at any time to get more wonderful sound, and you can truly create your own home theater.
- 🔆【Portable Projector Screen Included】The V08 mini projector includes a 100" projection screen that is tailored to meet our customer's needs. As opposed to other projectors, our included projector screen allows you to set up your own home theater anywhere to watch movies, TV shows, photos, slide shows, and play video games. This portable, foldable, anti-wrinkle and easy to wash 100" projection screen is larger than others, which ensures wider viewing angles and enhanced picture detail.
- 🔆【Portable Mobile Home Cinema】The V08 movie projector provides a minimal display area of 32” to a maximum 220” image with projection distances between 1.5-6m. Aspect Ratio: 4:3/16:9, Contrast Ratio: 5000:1, Lamp lifetime: 60,000 hours. It enables excellent playback of movies, TV shows, video games and can be set up conveniently. Our newly improved 2023 uniform illumination method provides the optimal visual experience, ensuring no dark areas are present along the edges of the displayed image.
- 🔆【Extensive Connection Availability】With the built-in HDMI, VGA, AV, USB, 3.5mm headphone port & TF card slot, plus included AV & HDMI cables, this portable projector is the perfect solution for a wide variety of input sources including but not limited to TV Stick/Box, Game Consoles, PCs, Smartphones, Tablets, Laptops, DVD players, TF cards and USB flash drives. Our V08 phone projector with 100" screen is easy to use and provides a great value.
Last update on 2023-10-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
4 – Bonfire
Almost everyone loves a bonfire. I suggest combining this with comfortable seating, an excellent soundtrack, and a hotdog roast. However, you can take it further by bringing out the marshmallows to toast as well.
Just beware of the flaming marshmallow goo, and make sure you practice proper fire safety.
5 – Classic Camping
Grab your tent and sleeping bag. If you can’t get out of town, that’s fine. Invite your friends over for a campout in your yard, and plan to bring flashlights to tell spooky stories.
It’s a lot of fun, you have access to an indoor bathroom, and the activities and stories are super-easy to adapt based on the age group.
Helpful Tips To Know About Fun Things To Do Outside With Friends
The season of the year, weather, and abilities of your particular friend group can limit your options, but it will also help you figure out what works best. Remember to be inclusive and make sure you pick something everyone can be a part of.
Here are some helpful tips to know about fun things to do outside with friends.
- The most important thing about doing fun outdoor activities with friends is having a good time. However, the easiest way to ensure that will happen is to check the weather first. It is a simple step that can save you from a rained-out meteor shower, or a record heatwave beach day.
- Whatever your age or interests, there are outdoor activities for you and your friends. If you’re not the sporty or movie or game-loving type, set up a bunch of canvases and paint together, or plan a meetup to do tai chi in the park.
- You can adapt other favorite group activities for the outdoors. Grab an event tent and some folding tables and take your game night outside.
Whether your friends are kids, teens, adults, or a mix of the three, everyone can get together for an excellent outdoor adventure or game.
You’ll have a good time, get some healthy sunshine, and gain the relaxation benefits you can only get outdoors. Once you’ve checked these fifteen great ideas off your list, add a few of your own.